At RELEVANT, we are committed to innovation, purpose and excellence. We are the leading platform reaching Christian twenty- and thirtysomethings, and our team is fueled by a creative spirit and spiritual mission that is reflected in every aspect of our business.
We are looking for an idea-driven staff writer with strong journalism and multimedia experience to focus on our relationship, faith and career/finance content. The position will be responsible for conceiving and writing magazine and website content—producing multiple items per day—as well as conducting interviews and creating content for our audio and video platforms.
The ideal candidate has their finger on the pulse of what RELEVANT covers. They need to be smart, witty, and have great taste. They will need to quickly deliver quality, compelling content that is journalistically sound, and written with RELEVANT's unique voice and worldview. The ability to be comfortable on camera and having an engaging presence on mic is also imperative to the job.
The ideal candidate is our target audience. They know what's happening in the Church, as well as culture. They have great taste in music, literature, film and design. They wrestle with hard questions, but aren't cynical. They're witty and creative. They're passionate about their faith, and about the potential of their generation to change the world. They love writing, but are equally comfortable conducting interviews and letting their personality shine on our multimedia platforms. They are passionate about RELEVANT, and get the unique combination of wit, smarts, vision, passion and taste that make it unique.
This is a highly collaborative in-house position that works with the managing editor, publisher and multimedia producers to ideate and create daily website and multimedia content, as well as contribute to the magazine. A knowledge of web analytics (to see what's connecting), headline writing, and RELEVANT's mission and voice is vital. A passion and expertise in personal social media is a must.
- Bachelor's degree in media or related field.
- Deep knowledge of RELEVANT's products, market and audience.
- Expertise in relationship or financial content strongly preferred.
- A strong, fast writer, with the ability to produce both quick blurbs and feature-length content.
- Comfortable on-camera and conducting interviews. A major focus of the job will be creating new types of video content for the brand.
- Thrives writing smart, bold, witty content. Aware of emerging media trends and able to use analytics to craft content strategy on multiple platforms.
- Strategic and creative thinker, with understanding of multimedia trends and how to engage emerging platforms to achieve brand content goals.
- Knowledge of AP style, with the ability to learn and adopt the standards in the RELEVANT style guide.
- Experience with Adobe InDesign and the Adobe Cloud software suite.
- Funny. Come on, you need to be funny.
Working at RELEVANT
At RELEVANT, we are committed to innovation, purpose and excellence. We are the leading platform reaching Christian twenty- and thirtysomethings, and our team is fueled by a creative spirit and spiritual mission that is reflected in every aspect of our business. We produce RELEVANT magazine and other stuff, but all of that's covered on our What We Do page, and let's be honest, you probably shouldn't apply for this position if you don't know who we are.
We're a small, collaborative team, and our employees are working to influence our generation and impact the world by creating innovative, impactful media. If that sounds like something you want to be part of, we'd love to hear from you! We aim to incorporate our core values of authenticity, creativity, transparency, faith and stewardship into everything we do. Diversity is of great importance to us.
RELEVANT offers full medical & dental insurance for our full-time employees, as well as a generous 401(k) matching program. We also offer full-time employees three weeks of paid time off, as well as generous maternity, paternity and missions trip leave if applicable. The office is fully stocked with free snacks and drinks, and our brand new office is located in downtown Orlando about a block away from Magic games.
This is an in-house position.
To apply for our staff writer position, please submit your cover letter and resume below. Please include your salary requirements, social media profiles and references as well. Applications without salary requirements or social media links cannot be considered.