RELEVANT, the leading content platform reaching Christian millennials, is looking for a detail-oriented, versatile copy editor to join our team.
RELEVANT's copy editor must love words, details and consistency. With a rock-solid command of language, spelling and grammar, our copy editor must ensure that each content item is well-written, error-free, factual and in line with RELEVANT's voice and style parameters.
Our ideal candidate thrives in a dynamic, creative and very fast-paced setting and is able to provide high-quality copy editing, fact checking and proofreading under tight, constantly shifting deadlines. A four-year degree and at least a year of professional copy editing experience are required. A strong proficiency in AP style is a must.
Our copy editor will copy edit, fact check and proofread all web articles, magazine articles, social media, ads, marketing copy, newsletters, videos and a range of other work across different media. The job also will include writing regularly, so a deep knowledge of RELEVANT's editorial scope and mission is a must. Writing assignments may include daily articles for the website; headlines, subtitles and sidebar content for the magazine; marketing copy and other various items, as well as formatting/publishing web content as needed.
The copy editor will manage all unsolicited article submissions, ensuring that ideas are discussed at editorial planning meetings, and responding to the writers.
The copy editor will manage the creation and deployment of our weekly newsletters, ensuring the content is engaging the audience and working with the analytics manager to use data to evolve the format and improve the reach of the content.
This is a highly collaborative in-house position. The right candidate will demonstrate strong skills in spelling, grammar, syntax and AP style, with exceptional attention to detail.
- Bachelor's degree with a minimum of one year copy editing experience.
- Deep knowledge of AP style.
- Personal knowledge of RELEVANT's products, market and audience.
- Ability to learn and adopt the standards in the RELEVANT style guide, which is based on AP style.
- Experience with Adobe InCopy.
- Resourcefulness and precision. The copy editor must ensure that all factual information is accurate.
- Personal knowledge of RELEVANT's audience, content focus and Christian mission
- Commitment to creating the best final product possible—respecting the writer’s creative voice but bringing consistency and clarity to all of RELEVANT's content.
- Editorial finesse, objectivity and restraint. Specifically, our copy editor must be able to vary the speed and scope of their editing depending on the needs of the project while maintaining accuracy.
- Flexibility, adaptability and a sense of humor in an environment where rules are always changing and processes are constantly being revised.
Working at RELEVANT
At RELEVANT, we are committed to innovation, purpose and excellence. We are the leading platform reaching Christian twenty- and thirtysomethings, and our team is fueled by a creative spirit and spiritual mission that is reflected in every aspect of our business. We produce RELEVANT magazine and other stuff, but all of that's covered on our What We Do page, and let's be honest, you probably shouldn't apply for this position if you don't know who we are.
We're a small, collaborative team, and our employees are working to influence our generation and impact the world by creating innovative, impactful media. If that sounds like something you want to be part of, we'd love to hear from you! We aim to incorporate our core values of authenticity, creativity, transparency, faith and stewardship into everything we do. Diversity is of great importance to us.
RELEVANT offers full medical & dental insurance for our full-time employees, as well as a generous 401(k) matching program. We also offer full-time employees three weeks of paid time off, as well as generous maternity, paternity and missions trip leave if applicable. The office is fully stocked with free snacks and drinks, and our new office is located in downtown Orlando about a block away from Magic games.
This is an in-house position.
To apply for our copy editor position, please submit your cover letter and resume below. Please include your salary requirements and references as well. Applications without salary requirements cannot be considered.