RELEVANT—the leading content platform reaching Christian twenty- and thirty-somethings—is growing, and we're adding a key position to our content team: managing editor. It's part of a major expansion and evolution in RELEVANT's multi-platform content strategy.
The ideal candidate is an experienced and creative leader who can develop an innovative, best-in-class content strategy for RELEVANT, RELEVANTmagazine.com and our multimedia platforms. The managing editor will be a main driver of the brand's voice and taste, overseeing all content for RELEVANT's digital platforms and, as such, must possess a strong editorial perspective and a knack for developing sharp, smart, witty, socially shareable content that’s in touch with our audience's lives. The position will also manage the bulk of magazine content, working with the editorial director and senior editor on crafting and delivering a fresh, marketable, on-mission line-up every issue. (Did we mention this year we're blowing up the magazine and website with major redesigns, including a refresh and expansion of content strategy?)
Qualified candidates should have a keen awareness of the latest trends in emerging culture, faith and music; enjoy a fast-paced environment with a real-time, nimble editorial strategy; and have experience in balancing sophisticated, top-tier, on-mission storytelling with data analysis and traffic growth goals.
The ideal candidate must also have strong top-editing skills and a rolodex of writers covering culture, faith, lifestyle, current events, theology, social justice and innovation.
The candidate must have a keen awareness of the millennial digital landscape, from established media brands and new editorial sites to social media stars and emerging platforms. The managing editor will be the lead position with its "finger on the pulse" of culture on the content team.
The ideal candidate is our target audience. They know what's happening in the Church, as well as culture. They have great taste in music, literature, film and design. They wrestle with hard questions, but aren't cynical. They're witty and creative. They're passionate about their faith, and about the potential of this generation to change the world. They love writing, but are equally comfortable conducting interviews and letting their personality shine on our multimedia platforms. They are passionate about what RELEVANT's passionate about, and get the unique combination of wit, smarts, vision, passion and taste that make our brand unique.
Want us to be honest? One of the first things we're going to do is look at applicants' Twitter feeds. That will tell us a lot about what you're into and how in touch you are. Twitter reveals interests, taste and wit. We want someone who has a unique perspective, personality, great taste and is compelling. We don't want someone to try to be interested in what RELEVANT covers. We want someone for whom it's a natural fit. Twitter reveals a lot.
This is a highly collaborative in-house position that works with the editorial director, publisher, senior editor and multimedia producers to ideate and create daily website content, as well as lead a bulk of the bi-monthly magazine and contribute to multimedia. Expertise in web analytics (to see what's connecting), headline writing, and RELEVANT's mission and voice is vital. At least 3 years’ editorial experience is required.
- Oversee daily content content for RELEVANTmagazine.com, ensuring that the voice and taste reflects the taste, mission and wit of the RELEVANT brand and the content is connecting effectively
- Innovate new content strategies to broaden the brand’s reach
- Assign, develop and edit features and front matter for the bi-monthly magazine
- Establish a strong, conversational, smart voice for our overall brand
- Work with social media team to develop social-first editorial programming, as well as custom content for visual platforms like Facebook videos and Instagram
- Work with the audience marketing team to establish actionable strategy that marries smart, sophisticated coverage with traffic and social growth metrics
- Actively recruit great writers—both emerging and established—to write for the web and magazine
- Regularly conduct interviews for our podcasts, and possibly join the cast of a show
- Conduct interviews on camera for the RELEVANT video platform, and possibly serve as a hosting personality
DESIRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- A strong sense of editorial voice and ability to write and edit smart, conversational copy in a flash
- Experience writing and editing top-tier daily content for a fast-paced website
- Keen awareness of the millennial digital landscape, from established media brands and new editorial sites to social media stars and emerging platforms
- Strong interviewer
- Feature editing experience
- A network of skilled and subject-appropriate go-to writers
- Analytical skills and a strong understanding of how to track and respond to data in real time;
- Experience balancing brand excellence with measurable daily, monthly, and quarterly KPIs
- Bachelor's degree with a minimum of three years editorial experience.
- Deep knowledge of AP style. Familiarity with Chicago style is a plus.
- Personal knowledge of RELEVANT's products, market, purpose and audience.
- Experience with Adobe InCopy and Photoshop.
- Flexibility, adaptability and a sense of humor in an environment where rules are always changing and processes are constantly being revised.
Working at RELEVANT
At RELEVANT, we are committed to innovation, purpose and excellence. We are the leading platform reaching Christian twenty- and thirtysomethings, and our team is fueled by a creative spirit and spiritual mission that is reflected in every aspect of our business. We produce RELEVANT magazine and other stuff, but all of that's covered on our What We Do page, and let's be honest, you probably shouldn't apply for this position if you don't know who we are.
We're a small, collaborative team, and our employees are working to influence our generation and impact the world by creating innovative, impactful media. If that sounds like something you want to be part of, we'd love to hear from you! We aim to incorporate our core values of authenticity, creativity, transparency, faith and stewardship into everything we do. Diversity is of great importance to us.
RELEVANT offers full medical & dental insurance for our full-time employees, as well as a generous 401(k) matching program. We also offer full-time employees three weeks of paid vacation, additional time off for missions trips, as well as generous maternity and paternity leave if applicable. The office is fully stocked with free snacks and drinks, and everyone is given great seats to Orlando Magic and Orlando City games each season.
Our office is located in the Orlando neighborhood of Winter Park, where we're surrounded by brick streets, Rollins College and amazing shops and restaurants. This is an in-house position.
To apply for our managing editor position, please submit your cover letter and resume below. Please include your salary requirements and references as well. Applications without salary requirements cannot be considered.